Wednesday, April 15, 2009

1st Place Grizzly Triathlon

Every year I head north to race in the Montana World Championships, which is known to outsiders as the Grizzly Triathlon. I did my first triathlon in 2004 as a sophomore in college, racing against Matt Seeley and coming 2nd by about 19 seconds. Determined to be the all-time most winning triathlete at the event, I keep going back to defend my title, see friends, and recall my life when I lived in Missoula. This year was no different, and despite having heavy legs after my first big effort of the year in New Orleans, I hit the road with my sister helping drive. We were only able to spend a couple days in Big Sky country, but it was good to return. I spent the weekend at my coach's house, met with friends, ate good food, and raced to my 4th straight win in a time that beat last year's effort by a mere 2 seconds. Improvement is improvement, I say, and given the way my legs felt on the run, I was happy with the punchy effort. Almost immediately after collecting my 5th rock, I packed up the car and rallied back to Colorado. Thanks again to everyone for putting on a great race, sporting hilarious costumes, and to my sister for taking time off school and helping log a rediculous number of miles on my trusty car for the sake of racing for less than an hour.

Missoulian article: http://missoulian.com/articles/2009/04/12/sports/sports01.txt

1 comment:

Elliot Bassett said...

Ben,
Do you want a hard copy of the paper? I've got two at my desk at work.